We’re hiring a Staff Backend Engineer to join our fast-paced, innovative, and remote-first environment. You will lead a team of engineers responsible for improving and maintaining Apploi’s core products. Working directly with product managers and your peers, you will develop an engineering strategy focused on creating intuitive, scalable software for healthcare providers.
As a Staff Backend Engineer at Apploi, you are a strong collaborator who is transparent about progress on tasks, seeks feedback early and often, works effectively with all teams, and inspires your colleagues to do better. Our engineers are a highly collaborative and supportive team. A successful candidate will be not only an accomplished engineer but also a critical and strategic thinker and of course an exceptional team player.
Therefore, it’s essential that this opportunity contributes to your career path and aligns with what Apploi is trying to achieve.
Who You Are
- At least 10 years of experience in backend engineering with Python
- Have deployed Flask and SQLAlchemy apps
- Have deployed or are familiar with Django
- Have deployed or are familiar with GraphQL
- Familiar with MySQL and/or PostgreSQL
- Enjoy test-driven or test-first development
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and desire to succeed
- Adaptable to new initiatives
- Experience leading and mentoring engineers
What You’ll Do
- Play a critical role in transitioning Apploi from a monolith in Heroku to microservices in AWS (Docker, ECS, EKS, RDS, CloudFront, EventBridge, SQS, etc.)
- Evaluate our database schema and API services then formulate a plan to decompose our services for ease of maintenance and deployment
- Lead scaling projects to improve performance and stability
- Lead continuous improvement and continuous delivery projects
- Scope, design, and lead technical projects
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack with an eye towards improving maintainability over the long term
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Align with product managers and the VP of Engineering on priorities
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k)
- Unlimited PTO
- Flex Fridays – employees are encouraged to take up to 2 Fridays off each month outside of PTO, no meetings and wrap up at 3pm on all other Fridays
- Wellness reimbursement
- Excellent employee referral program
- Internal training programs
- In-person events and activities
- Employee hubs and office locations nationwide
- Flexible and remote working options
- Healthy life/work balance
- Fun, collaborative work environment
At Apploi, we pride ourselves on putting people first. This starts at the heart of the company, where we’ve created a workspace where we can be unapologetically ourselves. We’re an eclectic and spirited bunch with amazing company culture, working together to revolutionize hiring!
Apploi is transforming how healthcare hires with all-in-one software that empowers companies to find, onboard, and retain staff. Working with over 7,000 healthcare organizations across the United States, our team helps leaders solve the industry’s most pressing problem: how to provide superb care in the midst of a candidate shortage.
Our mission to revolutionize hiring through innovation, empathy, and an understanding of human impact has earned Apploi widespread notice. In 2021, Apploi won Gold for Established Excellence in Inc.’s Best in Business awards, and was recognized in 2022 by Inc. as one of America’s Fastest Growing Companies for the third consecutive year. The platform was also recognized by GetApp as a 2022 category leader in onboarding, recruiting, and applicant tracking. On a wide scale and an individual basis, Apploi is dedicated to helping healthcare workers and employers thrive in the industry they love.
At Apploi, we’re devoted to creating an excellent employee experience. Our team, culture, and benefits all make it an incredible place to work, so come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.